Friday, July 14, 2017

#farmislifepart2

So yesterday I made the decision to wake up at 5:30 this morning to go work on the farm in Idaho with Aunt Susie. Don't ask me why...I honestly have no idea. Maybe I thought I would regret not going...maybe I secretly like putting myself through pain... I couldn't tell you. But whatever drove me to that decision had me reluctantly dragging myself out of bed at 5:36 this morning and questioning my sanity. Needless to say, I wasn't exactly looking forward to a day of farm work when I got up this morning. However, the day proved to be better than my morning self had expected, and we had a good day working with a group of interesting people. There was Chris (the hipster) who has some really "rad" family members and likes to buy lotion that is made out of goat's milk and has none of those "gnarly" chemicals and stuff in it. Then there was Wana, the forty year old Filipino yoga instructor who likes to bring really strange, organic drinks with her to work. And there was also Nina, who was mourning over the loss of her very well-trained dog and who taught me that you can be happy when you're alone, but you need someone to "complete your soul" (hence marriage). I learned life lessons at the farm today :). When I wasn't being taught valuable, wise lessons, I was weeding and cutting lettuce...with legit shears. I have never used shears before and I kind of stabbed myself with them a couple times. Aunt Susie and I cut some spring mix, a combination of five different lettuces. Then we weeded a lot, trying very hard not to pull up the actual plants. It was a little intimidating because we were handling the farm owners' livelihood: those vegetables are everything to them, those are how they get their income and how they live. After we finally finished our fifth hour of work, we had a delicious lunch (prepared by Sarah) and then we got to pick strawberries to take home. I loved that, and I tried to pile up as many as I could in my little container. It reminded me of when the Bertkes (shout out :)) used to have strawberry plants that we would eat off of...oh memories. There's not much that is better than a fresh picked strawberry. We headed home after we collected our vegetables from Erika (one of the farm owners) and we made some stops on the way home to get materials to make a raised bed for our vegetable plants. We built it and set it up in the backyard and now we are relaxing. Sarah just got home and I don't know what we're going to do tonight. We shall see.

Ahoj!! (That's goodbye in Czech)

Emma

These are my strawberries!
Also if you look closely you can see the mud caked onto my knees...I was kind of filthy...

2 comments:

  1. Your work today helped make your soul as delicious as those strawberries!
    I'm happy to hear all about your adventures during this short time away from us. I'm also glad to hear that you do have a memory or two of Life in Woden.
    Your sis wants strawberries as well, I'll bet all I have to do is mention something like, "Both of the girls have expressed an interest in having strawberries in the backyard!" to a certain uncle...and ta-da! Someone will have some strawberries in Texas next spring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Let's do it! I'm sure that uncle would be glad to do it. He might even pay us to maintain it ;)

    ReplyDelete