Saturday, July 15, 2017

Concerning the Bard of Avon (Google it if you have to)

Shakespeare. He wrote some of the most read and most popular plays in history. He also wrote plays that are somewhat inaccessible to a modern person who speaks contemporary English. But even through that, his plays are read and performed all over the world and his legacy lives on. I have always had trouble interpreting Shakespeare because his language was so old and when I have been exposed to it in Omnibus class, we move too fast for me to keep up with the side notes that will interpret some of it for me. So I have always been just a little lost in the story as we read the words, but I can always understand the final product. You're probably wondering why I'm rambling about Shakespeare, and if you're one of those perceptive sorts you have probably already figured it out. We went to see a Shakespeare play today: The Tempest. And, like any other Shakespeare play I have seen, the story was told mainly through the actors' facial expressions and body movements. What you miss through the actors' lines (which is pretty much everything) you get through their facial expressions. It's kinda crazy how people can tell a story by the way they look and how they present their lines. Anyway, Aunt Susie and I ended up leaving during the intermission because she was kind of lost and I wasn't exactly enthralled in the story and we were both ready to go home. The production was pretty good though.
This is where the magic happened :)
Before the play though, there was a potluck dinner at Aunt Susie's friend's house that we went to. Influenced by my social anxiety, I wasn't exactly thrilled about the gathering, but it proved to be pretty good. There were people there from the Center for the Arts that I knew from helping out at the outdoor dance performance (you know, the one with the sheep) so I didn't feel like such a stranger.
This is a picture of the drink table...because that's the only pic I took while I was there
Any way that was pretty fun. We didn't really do much this morning and afternoon. I cleaned all the windows in the house (except the upstairs ones) inside and outside.

Like always, I don't know what tomorrow holds. But I know who holds tomorrow. (quote credit to my little quote thingy in my room at home...my Texas home).

Faida!! (that's goodbye in Swahili) (I've always wanted to learn Swahili)

EMMA KAY TERRELL


1 comment:

  1. Well, your Potluck Post made me think of our Wednesdays at the Pool House! We've had some fun times here while you've been away. Don't think my table setting looks quite as welcoming and relaxed as the above picture...probably should play around with some of Oma's numerous table cloths to see if I can obtain such a visually pleasing liquid refreshment station.
    You didn't mention any males burping loudly and pushing innocent cousins into the pool....we've got that where I come from!

    ReplyDelete